HOG or AVO ?

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

zahoorjury

HOG or AVO ?

Postby zahoorjury » 05 Nov 2007, 00:02

Hi , how can you define the difference between HOG and AVO Consoles. ( Dont say that you are not famalier with HOG )
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Nov 2007, 01:06

Hog is 'tracking', Avo are traditional HTP/LTP.

The actual differences are huge and could never be covered in a forum unless you specify particular actions.

The best thing you can do is download Hog2PC and manual.
djrappa

Postby djrappa » 24 Nov 2007, 13:26

When it comes to the D4 I would say not much in terms of anything the hog can do that the D4 can't and the D4 comes in a much more attractive hardware package.

I was Hog through and through before I moved over to the D4 and now I wouldn't go back.
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Lighting Designer
Warner Village Theme Parks
neil

Postby neil » 22 Feb 2008, 22:50

Essentially, its the control....

On Hog, you have to number everything, and have unit numbers for every parcan, mover etc.

On the Avo desks (ok technically you do have a number), but you assign generics/movers to 'faders'. This meaning, if you quickly need to put up the front truss or any lighting quickly - its a dam site to lift some faders on an Avo desk, rather than get a plan and work out which numbers are which on Hog etc.

Also, the Hog is based more around 'theatre stacking', than the 'normal' look/function per sub on Avo desks. Because of this, Hogs have fewer subs than most desks.

Also, busking is harder on Hogs. On Avo desks you can 'grab' fixtures quickly, where as unless you record per fixture Groups on the Hog screen, to turn a certain 2 movers to a different position/colour etc you will have to enter unit numbers.

What is your application?
Cheers

Neil
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 25 Feb 2008, 10:10

I think this discussion would be better and more accurate if had on a different forum. In fact I know of similar threads on other forums such as the Blue Room.

This thread is now closed.
Avolites Software Team