Fixture exchanging causing group layouts to change

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

c-j-y

Fixture exchanging causing group layouts to change

Postby c-j-y » 25 Jul 2021, 23:29

Hi all,

I’m currently on a festival run with a Quartz on V15, and have had some issues with exchanging fixtures from a master file. After exchanging, I’d found that the exchanged fixtures had been removed from certain groups (it turns out that these groups are system groups created automatically after patching), and also the group layouts and orders are being affected, which is a nightmare on short changeovers! I’ve done 2 shows so far and have had to rearrange group layouts on both shows.

I’ve tried to replicate this on Titan Simulator, but it seems to be fine on there.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.
Gregory

Re: Fixture exchanging causing group layouts to change

Postby Gregory » 06 Aug 2021, 13:12

If the groups in question are the automatic type groups e.g. All Robin MMX Spot then whenever a fixture of that type is added it will be automatically added to that group at the end and when a fixture is exchanged from one type to another it will be removed from the type group it is in and added to the new one. It is not possible to turn off this behaviour, if you need groups (with or without layouts) that represent a truss or area of the rig regardless of type it is best to select the fixtures you want using groups or fixture handles and then record a new group from that. There used to be a bug where copying a type group would retain the link to the type so that the new group would also get updated, this should have been fixed in version 12 however if you had a group from a show before this version then those groups would continue to be linked to the type.