getting started with Titan PC suit

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

paulthom2

getting started with Titan PC suit

Postby paulthom2 » 15 Mar 2018, 16:41

I have registered, downloaded and installed Titan PC Suit. When it first started it prompted me to register - enter username again.
Is this a simulator of the Avolites consoles? that is can I use it to learn the console and program a show file offline? Or do I need some hardware (Titan One dongle or whatever) to get it to do anything useful?

I have loaded the Tiger Touch panel in the virtual panel, but it doesn't seem to do much - I can move the faders and when I click Patch button the red light comes on but clicking on Fixture or Dimmer doesn't do anything. The display part is blank. Pressing Fixture does not do anything, although the button seems to depress.
I have another window, 'touch display' all in grey, in which I managed to get into patch mode, search for fixtures (Martin-Viper) and patch them but now can't seem to get out of patch mode back to some sort of "live" mode.
The manual mentions pressing the Locate button to control fixtures - but I can see that in the 'touch display' window and in the tiger touch panel it does not do anything.
I have used an actual Tiger Touch console once before but this PC software has me really confused as to how its supposed to work. Any clues or pointers to getting started documentation would be welcome - thanks.
Hardware is Dell XPS 13 running Windows 10 Build 16299
niclights
The eManual

Re: getting started with Titan PC suit

Postby niclights » 15 Mar 2018, 17:16

The Titan PC Suite includes 'Titan Simulator'. You can use this without any hardware. It will occasionally generate 'spoilers'.

When you launch Titan Simulator you can choose which console you want to simulate. For consoles there is a separate Virtual Panel representing the console controls but it is important to understand that where relevant the screen in the Virtual Panel does not simulate. Instead you need to use the separate window(s) which represent the screen(s). For TitanOne the controls are embedded - I would recommend using this as it is much more convenient having everything in one window when working on a PC.

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction and then you can follow the manual.
paulthom2

Postby paulthom2 » 15 Mar 2018, 18:01

Thanks Nic

So the grey window 'touch display' is what would be on the window of the panel on the actual console - I can make that work - although I have to say it is one of the weirdest software design decisions I have ever seen! and almost unusable on a smallish laptop display. In particular the Tiger Touch panel key legends are not rendered clearly on my display, making it even more hard work.

I think I might just stick to reading the manual.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Mar 2018, 18:11

I'm not too sure what you mean. The displays are the same as in the consoles. The Virtual Panel just does the job of simulating the physical control surface that you don't have. The displays are designed for the consoles but usually they are fine. Using here on a PC I can see everything clearly. Maybe it's a particular issue with your screen size/resolution. You may find it helpful to add an external screen if you have one. Try using the TitanOne simulator rather than the Tiger Touch.
Wayneskie

Postby Wayneskie » 16 Mar 2018, 09:13

I started from scratch on Titan 18 months ago.

I quickly passed over the simulators of actual consoles and quickly moved onto just using the Titan One simulator.
You will find that if you learn using this simulator, when you get to a real life console, what you have learnt translates very easily.

You can pre-program till you hearts content on the simulator, although a second screen is very useful ( I just bought a touch screen Hanns.G HT225 from Amazon for £200).

The annoying bit is the spoilers which spew random DMX every so often. But this is an understandable feature and doesn't really get in the way.

If you buy a Titan One Dongle, you will be able to output one universe of DMX and disable the spoiler. However One universe is the limit. And learn from my mistake - don't leave the Titan One plugged in and expect to simulate several DMX universes, the Titan locks the simulator to one universe.

Keep at it. Once it opens up to you, you will discover Titan magic! It's worth it.

W.