LED strip with two levels of lighting

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

Kimbee

LED strip with two levels of lighting

Postby Kimbee » 09 Nov 2017, 09:34

Hello, newbie here..I don't know whether it is proper to post here..Can anyone help me?

I'd like to have an LED strip with two levels of lighting, one triggered by motion sensor (7v because I've tested the meter long smd3528(http://www.kynix.com/Detail/958481/SMD3528.html) strip and it operates at low steady level at 7v), and the other 5v to boost up to 12v on a switch (connected to pantry door) for the strip giving me full light.

The reason I'd prefer not to use a dimmer is that I'm using it in my kitchen and when working there don't want to have to wash and dry hands to operate a dimmer. Pantry (like a closet in my kitchen where food and spices stored) door is usually open when I'm cooking so a switch on that for the additional voltage would be convenient.

At other times, not cooking, just need the dim light for getting a glass of water type action.

I thought of splitting the strip, having two smaller ones both at 12v, but kitchen is tight and full of angles and the longer one gives gentler, ambient lighting, less shadows.

I realize this is easy and cheap enough to test for myself but thought I'd ask while waiting for parts to arrive and ask (if successful) if there's a better design for more general applications? Also, would it matter if the 5v supply were added at the other end of the strip rather than joining the 7v line prior to the strip? Do I need that diode or more than that?

(There are two diagrams (I did my best without knowing legit symbology) because I know real world electricity is strange and if wiring both buck converters to the 12v and then rejoining would create a problem, plus if I opened the door during the day when motion sensor was not operating (it's a light sensor too) then I'd be putting 5v through strip and maybe that wouldn't be good for led strip)

PS. Just thought of putting the motion switch before the first buck converter so it controls the whole 12v supply and I wouldn't have to worry about 5v trying to light the strip.

Thanks for helping me!