Artnet node advice

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

Peri_95

Artnet node advice

Postby Peri_95 » 08 Aug 2017, 22:34

Hello community,

I have a question about the artnet node cause I don't have much experience with it.

How do you manage a "backup artnet line" for a concert/festival/event if you have a artnet node like Madrix Luna 8 or any other artnet node that has only one Ethernet port?

I ask that because sound consoles like Midas or Yamaha, have AES50 or Dante that always have 2 ports on the console and on the stagebox, so if one line breaks for some reason, other one takes the signal right away. That way, the sound wouldn't completely stop, but look what almost happened to me.

I was using one artnet node that had only one port. Whole show was ok and 30 minutes after concert(thank God) something broke between artnet and Tiger Touch. Whole lighting stopped responding. So even if that happens it needs time to switch the cables on the artnet node and console and even then I don't know if the problem is with the port or the cable.

So anyways, I want to avoid a situation like this, so how would you, people, connect a backup line in this situation?

Also, do you know some good artnet node with 2 Ethernet ports?

Best regards,
Peri_95
Peri_95

Re: Artnet node advice

Postby Peri_95 » 22 Aug 2017, 14:05

Hello everyone,

I am still searching for an answer cause it's really important to our company. If you think that the question is on the wrong topic, you can tell me where to post it.

Thanks and best regards,
Peri_95
djbbe

Postby djbbe » 19 Sep 2017, 10:10

What you could do is set both outputs on the same universe. (i don't think there is a merge or backup function in the software)
And put an external merger on both of the signals.

Most of the Art-net node's have the internal capability to merge or backup.

We use this node :
http://www.elationlighting.com/enode8-pro
asqm500

Postby asqm500 » 26 Sep 2017, 12:19

Hello,
if you want a backup line, you have to use at both end a switch able to manage "LOOP" configuration.
In this case, a line (Cat cable or FO) is used as main and a second line is used as spare.
In case of main line failure, the spare line take the relay automatically.
Never try to make a loop with switches doesn't have LOOP management, it will create a sort of "data feedback"

Take a look at the link bellow :
https://www.elclighting.com/products/dm ... tchgbx-10/

BR
Peri_95

Postby Peri_95 » 27 Sep 2017, 18:34

Hello djbbe and asqm500,

Thanks for your answers. It really helps a lot to understand this, but something is not clear to me.

Tiger Touch 2 has 2 network outputs (so, probably 2 network adapters). Is it possible to connect both outputs to the 2 Artnet nodes and then same DMX outputs of 2 artnet nodes to DMX mergers like this one:

https://i.imgur.com/LPFxVFs.png

and then to have one stable output there?
So, Tiger Touch 2 -> 2 network outputs -> 2 separate artnet nodes -> First DMX outputs from both artnet nodes to DMX Merger -> DMX Fixtures

Also, with that logic while using a 8 DMX outputs node, we would need these 8 DMX mergers.

If not like that, cause I am not sure if it is possible for the Line on the Tiger touch 2 to be on two network adapters(outputs), is it possible to do it the same way but instead of using 2 adapters, to use only one, that is split in the beginning with the network switch (with that LOOP management that you mentioned earlier)?

I hope that you understood what I mean.
Best regards and thank you, once more,
Peri_95
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 28 Sep 2017, 12:11

As of v10.0 it is possible to output Art-Net (or sACN) to both network adapters at once, prior versions you had to select one adapter to output to.
Peri_95

Postby Peri_95 » 01 Oct 2017, 13:38

Ok, Gregory and others.
I understood. I'll try to connect it that way and if I come across some difficulties I'll contact you again.

Thank you everybody, again

Best regards,
Peri_95