Equivalence between metal halid lamp and LED

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

Peri_95

Equivalence between metal halid lamp and LED

Postby Peri_95 » 07 Aug 2016, 20:10

Hello community,

This question doesn't have anything to do with the Avolites consoles, but with stage lighting in general. I have a question:

Let's say, 1200W Metal halide lamp would have the same intensity as the LED of which power(regardless of the optic of the device)?

I am asking that because in the last few years the technology is change really quickly to LEDs everywhere and there is more and more LED spot, beam and wash moving heads and less old moving heads with metal halide lamps.

If you need more explanation of my question feel free to ask. I am looking forwards to your answer.

Thanks in advance and
best regards,
Peri_95
Menno.Appelhof

Re: Equivalence between metal halid lamp and LED

Postby Menno.Appelhof » 10 Aug 2016, 08:34

If it was that simple there would be a replacement for all kinds of fixtures.

In the retrofit area the rule is 8-10. Which means that roughly speaking a 50W halogen or incandescent could be replaced by a 5-6.25W LED fixture.

And ofcourse there is a big but!

All depends on the lens used on the LED. There is a big difference is you use the 120 degree standard lens on the LED or a 2 degree special LED lens.
Also as the light coming from an LED (Small spectrum) is very very much different to a standard good "old" fashion lighsource (wide spectrum) there is no real rule that fits all.

So no, there is no rule of thumb that would fit a 1-on-1 replacement. Trial and error is your best way to go.
Peri_95

Postby Peri_95 » 15 Aug 2016, 18:58

Hello Menno.Appelhof

Thank you for the answer. I'll go with the trial and error then :)

I mean, I wanted to know if 15r 330W lamp Moving head Sharpy Spot has approximately (if not more than) the power of Robe Colorspot 1200.

We maybe buy something like this and I want to know if I can combine these new moving heads with that old Robe Colorspots so it doesn't make so much difference in the power of the light.

Best Regards,
Peri_95
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Aug 2016, 19:15

Your example is confusing as a '15r 330W lamp moving head Sharpy Spot' suggests a discharge source just like the Robe Colorspot 1200. So neither are LED but the 15r 330W lamp will almost certainly appear brighter than the Robe, partly because of the age of the Robe versus the efficiency of the new lamps/fixtures and partly because it will presumably have a much narrower beam (if it's some sort of Sharpy copy?).

By far the best thing to do is get demos of the fixtures and then you can see. If this is not possible then look at the manufacturer's photometric data (ie. compare lumens, look at beam angles/zoom ranges etc).

There a number of serious LED spot contenders now. I have some LED sourced High End SolaSpot Pro 1500's that are incredibly powerful and easily beat the Robe Colorspot 1200's. Also look at Robe DL4 or DL7 series, Prolights LUMA 1500 and 700.
Peri_95

Postby Peri_95 » 16 Aug 2016, 13:01

Hello niclights

Thank you very much for the answer. I know that I asked totally different thing. Both Robe and Sharpy have Metal Halid lamp. I forgot what was the first question and I needed answers on both questions (although I haven't asked them at the same time).

Anyways, I needed answer like this. Thanks, once again.

Regards,
Peri_95

P.S.
Yeah, it's some kind of copy of sharpy.