Advice for the purchase of the Avolites console

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

Peri_95

Advice for the purchase of the Avolites console

Postby Peri_95 » 31 Jul 2016, 12:13

Hello community,

Just like it's described in the topic, my company is in a need to buy a new console. This advice would mean a lot to us cause we can't get to try or see these consoles in work, cause we are from a small land and we simply don't have an opportunity to learn from someone better.

Until now we had some software for lighting design (Not from Avolites) where you need a lot of time to program lights with and Avolites Pearl Expert(with old(non Titan) system) that is a little out of date. With that old Pearl Expert we did our maximum for concerts for up to 10000 people (rock concerts, electronic music festivals and similar). We were mostly satisfied with that old Pearl Expert(although it lack things that Titan system has(like saving shapes where you are now only able to save Pallets)), but there are situations where we do more events at the same time. I needed to say these things so you know approximately what things we do and so you can say easier what type of Avolites console would be good and enough for us.

Like I've seen, Sapphire touch is the most developed Avolites console? I mean, it's the console that big LDs recommend, but it is also expensive as I had seen. Is maybe Arena or Tiger Touch II more suitable for us? What do you think?

P.S.
Also, some places(internet websites or contacts) where we can take a look at and maybe buy used Avolites consoles would be good to know. I would be really thankful if you can share that information with us :)

Thanks in advance and
Best regards,
Peri_95
niclights
The eManual

Re: Advice for the purchase of the Avolites console

Postby niclights » 31 Jul 2016, 12:36

All of the Titan consoles use the same software. So the difference is number of faders/buttons/screens etc. The Sapphire Touch is currently the highest spec console with two full size touch screens and motorised faders but if it is too expensive (or too large/heavy) then I'm sure most touring LD's will be more than happy to see a Tiger Touch or even a Quartz. Don't forget that you can expand the number of faders with additional 'wings' at a later date if required.

Also, all Pearl Experts can run Titan. So if you already have one then it would make sense to use this. Depending on the version you may need to upgrade the hardware. For version 9.1 it will be very minor changes - possibly RAM and I would recommend an SSD if it doesn''t have one. For version 10 it will probably need bigger changes including a new motherboard but this will almost certainly be much cheaper than a new console. There is also a wing for the expert that has a touch screen.

You can try out the Titan software on any of the consoles by downloading the Titan Simulator.
Peri_95

Postby Peri_95 » 01 Aug 2016, 10:38

Hello niclights
Thanks for the answer.

I will think about of which console we should buy, but this advice helped us a lot. Our Pearl Expert is from 2009 (I think) and because we don't have any other console in our company, I wouldn't try to change the hardware or something. I am afraid of making it worse and not being able to use the only console that we have, so I am pretty sure that we will buy a new console soon.

You didn't say anything about Arena? What is special in that console? Only more faders or it has something that other consoles don't have?

P.S.
How many wings can you connect to Tiger Touch II?

Once more, thank you really much and
best regards,
Peri_95
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 01 Aug 2016, 10:56

I didn't mention Arena just because it was larger than the Tiger Touch. For sure LD's would be very happy. I have just put one into a venue that sees a large number of touring LD's. As well as the extra faders (effectively a Tiger Touch wing) It has a second 'mini' touch screen with four unique rotary encoders/buttons. It also has eight physical outputs like the Sapphire Touch.

As far as I am aware it is one wing for the Tiger Touch which would give you 50 faders total.
Peri_95

Postby Peri_95 » 01 Aug 2016, 13:22

Ok, thank you very much for the advice!