Multiple versions of titan suite on the same computer ?

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

Quidam

Multiple versions of titan suite on the same computer ?

Postby Quidam » 05 Mar 2015, 21:52

Hello,

Is it possible to have multiple versions of titan PC suite on the same computer ?
The installer does not give us the option to select a custom install path. Is there any reason for this, and possibly a workaround, or am I doomed to uninstall/install every time I need an anterior version ?

Thanks.
Quidam

Re: Multiple versions of titan suite on the same computer ?

Postby Quidam » 19 Mar 2015, 10:25

Now that V9 RC is out, I'm even more interested in any answer to this :-)

Thank you.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 19 Mar 2015, 10:42

There are various components to the Titan system including different applications, services and drivers which all have to work together for the software to function. This would make it very difficult to install different versions alongside each other, have all the correct components find one another and not interfere. In the case of drivers and firmware you would have to have only one version.

That being said, it has been discussed in the office and we may well consider doing something about this in future.
Quidam

Postby Quidam » 19 Mar 2015, 12:27

Ok, thank you for your reply.

So I'll try to keep different versions on different computers, because uninstall/install is causing me trouble with my hardware (I'll open a new topic for that).

It's nice to hear it's been discussed - this is a problem for preprogramming, as I'm not always able to specify a software version.
I guess I'll keep a v7 on an backup laptop, to then being able to load shows upwards on whatever version I get on the desk-of-the-day.
Quidam

Postby Quidam » 19 Mar 2015, 13:23

To elaborate on the previous comment :

Regardless of preprogramming, as the networking features requires identical software versions, this would also be extremely helpful for using TM as backup solution on various desks...
nigelj

Postby nigelj » 19 Mar 2015, 13:41

I appreciate it may be technically challenging to run versions side by side, but to publish an RC without the ability to use that and a production version alongside each other is really not good at all.

I don't remember seeing any warning on the website or release notes about this...what happens if people upgrade, use v9 on show files (which I assume then upgrade, or have new features saved into in the file), then bugs appear in v9 which means they can't use v9 reliably on their shows. They're buggered unless the v9 show files can be used directly on v8.1...they'd have to uninstall 9, reinstall 8.1 and re-program everything. I can see some screaming and shouting going on!!!

...that's if uninstalling and reinstalling will work reliably...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3748!

Gregory wrote:There are various components to the Titan system including different applications, services and drivers which all have to work together for the software to function. This would make it very difficult to install different versions alongside each other, have all the correct components find one another and not interfere. In the case of drivers and firmware you would have to have only one version.

That being said, it has been discussed in the office and we may well consider doing something about this in future.
Quidam

Postby Quidam » 19 Mar 2015, 14:06

I don't remember seeing any warning on the website or release notes about this...

Well, to be fair, technically this is not even a V9 bug - and I've just posted about my TM problem in the other topic a few minutes ago
EDIT : and it's already adressed.

To me, the 'release candidate' term itself should be ringing a bell (or am I being paranoid ?) but, indeed, maybe it's not user-proof enough.
Some other manufacturers don't mind releasing open beta versions... or, at least, that's what they call them. Maybe the 'beta' term, even applied on releases that technically aren't beta anymore, would flash some warning signs to a wider audience.

(... please do not abandon RC releases for future versions)
nigelj

Postby nigelj » 19 Mar 2015, 15:44

Sure, it isn't a bug, and yes, RC should ring warning bells (it does with me which is why I asked my question before installing anything!).

I do think that there should be a warning to not install a major update/RC until you are happy it'll work for you, as it's hard to revert back and they can't install side by side for testing purposes. For me this means I can't test 9 now as I don't have another computer to install it on...I'll just have to wait a few weeks!

One question out of interest...even if you are able to get your Titan back to 8.1, will you be able to use show files saved with 9...will 8.1 just ignore the additional information about v9 features?
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 19 Mar 2015, 15:52

Unfortunately you cannot load a show file from a newer version of software back into an older version.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 19 Mar 2015, 18:55

I think it might be important to add that this has always been the case (ie. shows not being backwards compatible and not being able to run concurrent versions on the same operating system).
nigelj

Postby nigelj » 20 Mar 2015, 07:30

Thanks Nic, I get that now, but new users (like me) may not, and may upgrade without realising the difficulties they're potentially heading into. If I had done work on a current show file, upgraded and then had issues I would be more than a little p'd off!!!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the v9 production release!