Tying a lightshow to a MIDI file

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

Sproge

Tying a lightshow to a MIDI file

Postby Sproge » 30 Jul 2013, 15:36

Hello!

I work for a cover band based in Sweden and I do the lights for them. I am currently mixing the light using a Stage Pilot and I want to check some other options. My goal is to pre-program the lightshow and to have it running with the MIDI files that we use for our backing tracks.

Is this possible to do and if so what equipment are you recommending?

I am currently using:
2x led kbs 400 rgb
6x led par-64 rgb spot
6x led par-64 rgba spot
2x stairville led bar 252 dmx
2x megabar led american dj

Thank you for your time!
Sproge
icke_siegen

Re: Tying a lightshow to a MIDI file

Postby icke_siegen » 30 Jul 2013, 16:33

You can easily do this with a Titan Mobile (you need to provide a separate computer) or a TigerTouch (all inc.). Both do understand real MIDI (you really need the 5pin cable). Then you might program several Cueists, set Timecode Triggerpoints, and up you go.
Sproge

Postby Sproge » 31 Jul 2013, 20:41

Had a talk to the guy making the background and the file format is apparently .crp, does this change anything?
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 01 Aug 2013, 22:41

Well, yes, it changes something. .crp is Cubase. These files essentially send MIDI events. What Titan needs is MIDI Timecode, and it will handle the events at the given time itself. I don't know (I'd presume) that you can make Cubase output MIDI Timecode along with the MIDI events you might need for your other devices. If so, all you'd need is an adaptor which converts the Timecode into real MIDI, which is then being fed into the Titan Mobile (or whatever console you choose).

The only Avolites consoles which understand MIDI events (but you need to know the syntax) are the Classic consoles (Pearl and relatives)