Weird problem useing Leprecon Opto-splitter

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

Beaker

Weird problem useing Leprecon Opto-splitter

Postby Beaker » 01 Oct 2008, 02:22

Here's a strange one, anybody got any ideas?

We installed an opto splitter in a church. The DMX travels about 120' from the Pearl to the splitter. 3 lines break off the splitter. One to ETC Sensor dimmers, one to an over head set of 6 Elation LED instruments, and one to a set of 6 Elation LED's on the floor. All are terminated and the longest line past the iso is under 75 feet. The LED fixtures flicker and are uncontrollable in this configuration. If you take the splitter out and run all in series all is fine as long as its terminated. We've replaced the opto with a new one, same thing. If it was a faulty cable, why would it work when daisy chained? LEDs incompatable? Elation says no, besides all work fine when daisy chained. Thoughts?
-All of life is a learning curve.
bergcrane2

Postby bergcrane2 » 29 Nov 2008, 22:45

What did you swap it with? Another Leprecon?
Beaker

Postby Beaker » 29 Nov 2008, 23:09

bergcrane2 wrote:What did you swap it with? Another Leprecon?

Yes, another Lepper had the same results. We then put in a doug Fleenor and everything works great. Go figure.
bergcrane2

Postby bergcrane2 » 29 Nov 2008, 23:16

Beaker wrote:
bergcrane2 wrote:What did you swap it with? Another Leprecon?

Yes, another Lepper had the same results. We then put in a doug Fleenor and everything works great. Go figure.

Yup, that's what I was going to recommend. The people at Fleenor know what they're doing.
Beaker

Postby Beaker » 14 Jul 2009, 00:40

Fleener works with no problems. amused everyone at Fleenor, frustrated everyone at lep. used the lep last month in an all lep install in another church, they worked fine. Mystery.
bergcrane2

Postby bergcrane2 » 14 Jul 2009, 01:07

Here's a little tidbit on Leppy. I live and work within 100-120 miles from the factory. When the LP-3k was being developed I had one running beta software. I had so many issues, it was driving me crazy. I had 3 pages on a legal pad filled with issues. I went down to the factory with a dealer to talk about the LP. All they did was brag on how good the console was and when I pulled out my 3 pages of complaints, they pretty much refused to listen or even acknowledge my issues. The programmers were there, shop manager, and top salesman (who is a writer featured in PLSN). I offered to leave my list with my phone number and even come back to talk to the programmers. They completely brushed me off, as I did when I needed a new console. Thanks again Rob Steele! :D I'll never buy another Leppy product unless it's a cheap bar-star rig.